Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Garlic Chicken & Asparagus w/ mini Farfalle pasta

Two recipes in one day?  Ahh...the luck of the Irish isn't too far away me laddies!

This is a really yummy dish that I whipped up without a recipe.  GASP!  I am the one that cringes when a scoop of flour isn't leveled off properly.  So, to be completely honest, I did google "garlic butter noodles" just because I didn't want to put 5 lbs of butter in my dish when it should only be a few tablespoons. Guidelines people, guidelines.  I didn't follow the recipe, just took into account the serving amount and ingredient amounts so I could adjust mine as needed.

I don't really have measurements because I just added stuff here and there, but I'll try to recreate it for you.  I apologize for the colors in the photograph.  You see, my camera...  Well, it's just that, I took this photography class and....

.....oh nevermind. 

My kids loved it and Rob said it was something he would want me to make again.  My standard question, on new recipes or things I make up, is "Did you like it?  Huh? Huh? Is this something you would want me to make again?"  

Garlic Chicken & Asparagus w/ mini farfalle pasta.

Serves: 7
2 adults, 3 teenage boys, a hungry 1o yr old girl and an "I only like the chicken." 7 yr old boy.  

5 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
olive oil (I used total about 2.5 cups)
garlic powder
16 garlic cloves
butter (optional)
Barilla mini farfalle pasta (I love the mini's!!!)
asparagus
Italian seasoning

1. In a large skillet, brown the chicken with a few tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.  Sprinkle garlic powder on the chicken and again on the other side once the first side is done. I leave the lid askew to let the steam escape slowly.  I don't want the chicken to boil, but I do want it moist.  I'm getting better with cooking chicken.  It's really a science on keeping it moist and flavorful.

Tip: For a lower fat option (with great flavor) you can use chicken broth instead of olive oil to cook the chicken.  

2. While chicken is cooking, start the pasta following directions on the package.

3. When chicken is done set aside on plate (or clean cutting board) to rest.  Letting chicken rest allows the juices to marinate for a bit before you cut into it.

4. Pour about a cup of olive oil in the same skillet as the chicken was.  Do not clean it out.  That's yummy flavor in there.  Keep heat on medium-low.  Add garlic to olive oil.  Add butter if you wish.  I think I added about 5 Tbsp.  Add in Italian seasoning...just a few shakes will do. Stir well making sure the temperature does not raise so much that the garlic burns.  Add in chopped fresh asparagus.  Cover skillet to help steam the asparagus.  When asparagus turns bright green it's done.  You do not want to let it steam too much or it will get soggy.  

5. Drain pasta (it only takes 7 minutes to cook) and return to it's same pan.  

6. Cut chicken into strips and add to pasta pan.

7. Pour sauce mixture over pasta & chicken.  Toss until well coated.  You don't want so much oil that it's over-bearing.  Just enough to coat the ingredients.  The flavor is in the garlic, so if you love garlic... use more, if you like garlic... use less.  

Serve w/ french bread and a salad, or you know...in our case, Banana-Banana Bread.  

Enjoy!  My family sure did.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm! I need to try this recipe! I love chicken, garlic, and asparagus...oh and the pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love asparagus! Sneaking it into pasta is the only way I can get my husband to eat it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I GOT POST TODAY! http://itwillallbefine.blogspot.com/2009/06/post.html

    YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the answer you seek is "more please".
    thanks,
    your mouth to feed #1

    ReplyDelete