Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Banana-Banana Bread

Yesterday evening, Rob came home from a long day at work and took the kids to the pool so I could finish baking banana bread.  I really needed to use the bananas or Rob would surely throw them out.  He's done it before and hasn't learned his lesson.  

I found banana's a week or so ago for $.39 cents a pound, which of course meant I needed to buy several pounds.  Within that week, I had purchased another several pounds hoping I would have enough left over to make banana bread.  I did.  

Brenden asked if he could help, so I thought this would be a great way for us to hang out.  I showed him the recipe and he went to work.

First we peeled 23 bananas and mushed them up.  My Banana-Banana Bread recipe calls for seven bananas, so I figured it would be about 3 heaping cups.  Brenden is a pro at handling my Kitchen Aid.  He's very careful with it and makes sure he's doing everything "just right".

When Casey asked if he could help crack the eggs,  Brenden replied, "Not today.  I just learned how to break them perfectly."  Huge emphasis on "perfectly".  Oh and this 15.6 year old young man even shared the beater with the brother he wouldn't let help crack the eggs.  

Can I get an "Awwwww!"?

Each batch made 2 loaves and we made three batches.  We were able to get four large loaves and 6 larger mini loaves.  

Banana-Banana Bread

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
7 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

You can add in mini-chocolate chips, coconut, raisins, nuts or even dried fruit if you wish.

Directions:

Makes two loaves.

1. Cream the butter and sugar. Blend in the bananas, vanilla and eggs.

2. Whisk together the dry ingredients.

3. Add to the banana mixture and mix until just combined. Pour into two greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.

4. Bake at 350F. Check on the bread after 35 minutes (it may take up to 60 minutes). Banana bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool the banana bread in the pan for 10 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack. 

If you like more banana flavor then this is the recipe for you!  Let me know if you try it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment