Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A laundry wall?

Several weeks ago I mentioned my new laundry wall, or so I thought.  Maybe I  just thought I posted about it.  That happens sometimes.  A little more often than I'd care to admit though.  I was all set to link back to that post where I had promised pictures and such, but um.....it's not there.  So I guess the whole following through thing didn't quite happen this time around. 

Several weeks ago I went to IKEA to check out the Antonius system.  I had several pieces in my old laundry room.  Basically a shelf with a hanging bar, fold-out drying rack, iron holder, small hanging ironing board, and a cross bar with hooks.  

Back in this post, I mentioned my unfinished laundry room and how I would just have to live with it.  ::big southern belle dramatic sigh::  Then I thought to myself, "Self, why not make the best of it and use the wall in the dance room to hang your clothes?" When I talk to myself, or my self talks to me, we can usually come up with some pretty neat ideas.   

So what does any self described obsessive organizer do?

Repeat after me.....

"You take a vacation to IKEA!"

I am lucky enough to have one close by and having been to IKEA too many several times, I know the in's and out's of the store.  I don't go through the entrance anymore, I head straight through the EXIT doors, through the check out lines and go straight to "As Is".  After I'm finished checking it out, I go backwards through the store.  Unless I want ideas or swedish meatballs, I rarely make it upstairs.  On this particular shopping/idea trip,  I just had to make my way to the laundry section, which is right across from all the storage containers and organizing things (giggle).  They had a pretty neat set up and I was immediately inspired.  I took some pictures with my phone to send to Rob for his thoughts.  Then I grabbed the booklet and started adding up all the pieces and designing it right there.  I went back to the loading area and bought the pieces I needed sans a few pieces they had on backorder.  

After a few days and several trips to IKEA for the missing parts, we started putting it all together.  Here is the final result.


Don't you just love it?  I do!  I now have many places to hang dry clothing and a place to actually fold.  I love that my sorting basket fits nicely under the table and my kids still have a ton of space to dance.  

I recently started hang drying most of our clothing because I feel better about saving the energy.  I'm not opposed to using the dryer, I still do, I just try to lessen the amount I do use it.  I would love an outdoor line, but for now I'll cheerfully hang dry what I can.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very eager to let you all know that Casey will be in his first play next month.  He is so excited and of course we are very proud of him.  He will be playing "Puck" from A Midsummer Night's Dream.  He has been practicing very hard.  It's difficult for him to read and much more difficult for him to actually comprehend what he is reading.  He's doing a remarkable job working out his left brain and I see more confidence in him.  It can often feel discouraging and sad as you watch your child struggle with educational and cognitive delays.  Casey is a natural born actor.  He wants to be a movie director, actor and Broadway performer one of these days. You know what?  He will be one, if not all, of those.  I know because I have a mother's intuition. I just know!

Casey 02/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment