Sunday, January 22, 2012

The 'E' Word

I had a mental breakthrough the other day.  Not breakdown...breakthrough.  It was one of those 'ah-ha' moments where I realized that my subconscious is still alive and kicking...and it can affect how I do things...without my approval.  


Butterfield Canyon 10/16/2011 (15 lbs heavier)


A month ago, as I was slowly losing weight and feeling healthier than ever, I made a promise to myself.  I promised that I would start to exercise if I reached a specific weight I hadn't seen in well over three years.  As it so happens, I was just two pounds off from reaching that goal.  I was set on starting this thing called 'exercise' within a few days...you know, if the scale would, uh, cooperate, that is.  


Each morning I would step on the scale and watch it go up or down, but never down more than a few ounces.  I started to become frustrated and wondered if maybe my age was the reason for my plateau.  Regardless, there had to be a logical reason why I couldn't lose that extra pound...right?  


Then it happened.  Light bulb!  Deep within the dark recesses of my brain, I began to see the light.  It wasn't the scale or my age that was the problem.  


It was me.


I've never been much of an active, athletic girl.  I like doing things and being active, but not when it's in the form of 'exercise'.  A leisurely hike in the majestic Utah Mountains, a stroll around the neighborhood on a warm evening, or even speeding around the track in a go-kart.  It's all good and it's fun.  Exercise, however, is not fun.


This morning I woke up and performed the same daily ritual and the scale was two pounds less than yesterday.  I had finally lost that extra pound.  I celebrated and then...


I exercised.


It was a start and that's all I can do.  Start.  

No comments:

Post a Comment