Monday, January 9, 2012

Amish Meat Loaf

My Facebook friends have asked me to post my Amish Meatloaf recipe. Of course, I can't take the credit for this scrumptious recipe because I found it in an Amish cookbook several years ago.  I can't remember if it is in Volume I or II and they are both packed away in storage until we move.  If you love Amish cooking, you'll want to buy these two books. They are my favorite, and I have several different Amish cookbooks.  


  
  

Amish Meat Loaf

Ingredients 
2 pound uncooked lean ground beef (I use 93/7 usually)
3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal (Gluten-Free if needed)
2 large egg(s)
1 cup 2% reduced fat milk
1/4 cup onion(s)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Sauce:
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup ketchup
Instructions:
Beat eggs; add milk to the oatmeal and let sit for 5 minutes.  In large bowl, add ground beef, eggs, onions, salt and pepper; mix well.  Add oatmeal w/ milk to the ground beef and mix well.  Place into loaf pan. Bake 350* for 45 minutes. Cover with sauce and bake additional 15 minutes. 

I usually double my recipe to feed our large family and to have leftovers.  Our family does not eat many leftovers, but we don't waste a morsal here.  So yummy!!!  The next day, if you have leftover meatloaf, make a grilled meatloaf sandwich on your favorite bread....Gluten-Free if you're like me.  When it's done grilling, add some sliced tomatoes and a piece of lettuce. You can put some mayo on it, but really you don't need it. 

*My suggestion* Double your sauce recipe so that you have leftovers. Warm the leftover sauce in the microwave and then drizzle over each slice as it is served. YUM!!  It's also great to have a bit leftover to drizzle on your sandwiches the next day.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment